How do you make sure your paint job will last for the long haul? It’s all about the proper preparation of bare wood. Whether you are restoring old wood or new wood Austin’s Perfect Pre-Treat is the best way to ensure adhesion and longevity of your paint coating or to rejuvenate old, dried out wood.
Austin’s Perfect Pre-Treat penetrates the wood and delivers the oils deep inside the wood that it needs. As it dries it creates a strong mechanical bond for primers and paints applied on top of it.
Use as Paint Preparation
Apply 1 coat of Austin’s Prefect Pre-Treat liberally to the wood surface, flooding the surface using a chip brush. The wood will drink the product up so continue applying until there is some product remaining on the surface. Let it sit for 5 minutes and lightly wipe the excess from the surface. Don’t wipe surface completely dry, just wipe any pools or drips. Wait 15-45 minutes until the surface feels tacky, then immediately apply 1 coat of our Heritage Primer or your favorite oil-based primer to the wood. Allow the primer to dry and apply your choice of finish paint.
Applying the oil-based primer in the window of time where the pre-treat has become tacky creates the strong mechanical bond that locks the primer layer down into the wood. If you miss the window and the pre-treat has dried you can still apply primer, but you have missed the additional mechanical bond.
Use as Wood Rejevenator
Old, weathered wood can be so dry and thirsty for the natural oils and resins it has lost. This wood can be rejuvenated by flooding the surface with Austin’s Perfect Pre-Treat. Continue flooding the surface until the wood has reached saturation and won’t take in anymore product. Let sit 5 minutes and then wipe the surface clean and let dry 12-24 hours.
Storage: Keep container tightly closed when not in use. Do not store in plastic containers. Store only in glass or metal containers that are resealable. Dispose of used Austin’s Pre-Treat at any hazardous waste location. Do not pour down the drain.
- Do not use near open sparks, heat, or flame
- Keep out of reach of children
- If accidentally swallowed, do not induce vomiting. Immediately call your poison control center, hospital emergency room, or physician immediately for instructions. Drink large quantities of water to dilute substance.
- Work in a well ventilated area
- Rags, steel wool, or waste soaked with Austin’s Perfect Pre-Treat may spontaneously catch fire if improperly discarded. Immediately after use, place rags, steel wool, or waste in a sealed, water-filler, metal container.